Petroleum Storage Certificate (2,500 to 50,000 litres)

Fife Council is the petroleum enforcing authority (PEA) for Fife and is responsible for ensuring those who keep and dispense petrol do not cause risk to the public or environment.

The Petroleum (Consolidation) Regulations are in force as of 1st October 2014 and replace the current licensing system with a Petroleum Storage Certificate (PSC).

Certificates are issued in the name of the premises where the petrol is stored and dispensed and you can use this form to apply for storage from 2,500 to 50,000 litres. There is no longer a reference to a person or business being designated as the licensee.

Certificates do not have an expiry date and remain in force until either a major change takes place or the site no longer trades for more than 12 months.

The keeper of the fuel on the premises for which a PSC exists must pay an annual fee which is calculated to the maximum litreage of petrol stored at the site.  The annual fee for a storage certificate remains the same as that currently in place for a licence and is payable to the PEA. The fees are set by The Health and Safety (Fees) Regulations which are subject to an annual review so fees may change in the future.


  • The licence costs £60 per year and you can apply for up to 10 years (each year charged at a multiple of the annual fee).
  • You can either choose to pay by debit or credit card.   

More information

Before you start filling out this form, sign into Fifedirect to keep a record in your account.

Go to the form
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.