Market operator's licence
A Market Operator’s licence is required for carrying on a private market.
The licence is granted to the operator of the market, and not the individual stallholder. It is therefore the market operator’s responsibility to ensure that all stallholders comply with any conditions attached to the licence.
A Market Operator’s licence is not required for
- functions held by charitable, religious, youth, recreational, community, political or similar organisations
- markets held for the sale of livestock, fodder or grain
Further details on the legislation governing this type of licence can be found by clicking on the Useful Links below - Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982.
A temporary Market Operator’s licence application can be made for one off events. Applications for such events will not be considered unless there is at least 4 weeks’ notice of the event.
How to Apply
You can apply online for a 1 year or 3 year licence using the relevant form to the right of this page.
For more information how to:
- submit an application
- the documentation and fee required
- the application process
- the time it takes to process your application
- the standard conditions attached to a Market Operator's licence
please consult the “application pack” publication below.
Tel: 03451 55 11 77 Contact Regulation Team online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT