Landlord gas safety responsibilities

If you live in rented accommodation, your landlord has legal responsibilities when it comes to gas safety.

Landlords have specific duties for gas safety and these include having gas pipework, appliances and chimneys / flues checked for safety by a Gas Safe registered engineer. The responsibilities are laid out in relevant gas safety legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 in Great Britain.


There are three specific duties for landlords to keep their tenants safe. 

  1. Annual gas safety checks– To make sure that any gas appliances and flue provided for tenants are safe for continued use, landlords must arrange for them to be checked fro safety every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  2. Record – A record of this annual gas safety check will include specific information. A copy of the gas safety record must be provided to an existing tenant within 28 days for the checking being completed or to new tenants before they move in. Landlords must keep copies for two years
  3. Maintenance – Maintenance arrangements should normally involve a series of regular inspections and any necessary repairs. Landlords must ensure that gas pipework is maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances and flues provided for the tenants use must also be maintained in a safe condition. Gas appliances and flues should be serviced in accordance and with manufacturers instructions but if these are not available, annual servicing is recommended unless advised otherwise by a Gas Safe registered engineer

Property access

Landlords need to ensure that they take reasonable steps to gain access to their properties in order to meet their legal responsibilities.

If you are a tenant you should allow a Gas Safe registered engineer appointed by your landlord access to your property to carry out maintenance or safety checks appliances and / or chimneys / flues that the landlord provides for your use. Remember to ask to see the engineer’s Gas Safety Registered ID card to confirm they are registered and able to carry out the work.

Tenants own appliances

You are responsible fro the maintenance and safety of your own gas appliances. The landlord is still responsible for the maintenance of the gas pipework. However, if your Gas Safe registered engineer advises you of an issue with the chimney / flue serving your gas appliance, you need to discuss this with your landlord as they have a responsibility for all chimneys / flues in the property under other legal duties.

Annual gas safety record

If you do not have a copy of the current record for your property, you are entitled to ask your landlord for a copy. If your landlord refuses, you can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) using this form:

Private Renting Standards

In addition tenants can contact Fife Council’s Private Renting Standard’s officer to report a private landlord who has refused to provide a gas safety record (previously referred to as a certificate).

Please email your enquiry / complaint to or alternatively call us on 01592 583397.





Private Sector Condition
Tel: 01592 583396
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.