Parent's guide to additional support for learning

This page should hopefully answer some of your questions about additional support for learning but if you can't find the answer you're looking for or you need more information, please contact us.

Frequently asked questions

Q. I think my child has dyslexia but I have been told that the school will not do a test.  How can I find out if he/she has dyslexia and what support is need?
A. We do not recommend one test to decide if a pupil has dyslexia.  Instead we would look at the child/young person's learning over a period of time, when they are learning in different ways and when support is provided.  We will also talk to parents and others involved with the pupil.
Q. We are moving into Fife and our son has additional support needs.  We want him to go to a school which will support him.  What school would you recommend?
A. Once you have a house/address in Fife you would contact the local primary or secondary school to enrol your son.  If you feel that the additional needs your son has means he will require extra support, you should let the school know.  The school will then hold a meeting with yourself and an educational psychologist to determine what support is required or if your son may need to go to another school in Fife.
Q. My daughter has autism and I feel she requires one-to-one support but the school is not providing this. How can I ensure she gets the support she needs?
A.  Some children with autism require considerable support, some very little. Each school has a learning support teacher who can support your daughter in class and/or offer advice to the teacher. The school has a link educational psychologist who can also offer advice.  Schools also have Pupil Support Assistants (PSA) to support pupils in class. The headteacher agrees with the education service the PSA hours for the year and then uses these for all of the pupils who require support.  If you are concerned about the level of support you should request to meet with the headteacher to discuss these.


More information is also available from Enquire - the Scottish advice service for addtional support for learning.

You can also get more information from Enquire.

Jennifer Allan, Headteacher Supporting Learners' Service (East Area) 
Tel: 03451 55 55 55 + Ext 44 21 26 Contact Jennifer Allan online
By Post: Rothesay House Rothesay Place Glenrothes Fife KY7 5PQ
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.