Right to Repair

When you report your repair to the Local Office or Contact Centre, staff will let you know if this scheme covers the repair you need, and if so, the maximum time to complete it.

Repair times are between one and seven working days.  The first day being the one after you report the problem.  For a one day repair - this means if you call on a Tuesday, we have until the end of Wednesday to do the work; for a 3 day repair - if you call on a Thursday we have until the end of Tuesday to complete the work. These times are set by law, not by us. If our usual contractor does not start and/or complete the repair in the time allowed, you can contact us for the name of our alternative contractor and then request them to do the work - but you have to advise us first. You will then be entitled to compensation. 

However, only the jobs below come under this scheme and you can only contact our specified alternative contractor, you cannot use any other of your choice.


What Repairs Come Under 'The Right To Repair ' Scheme?

Qualifying repairs are: -

  • Unsafe power or lighting sockets, or electrical fittings
  • Loss or partial loss of electric supply/gas supply/water supply
  • Blocked flue to open fire or boiler
  • Insecure external window, door or lock
  • Loss or partial loss, of space or water heating, where no alternative heating is available
  • Unsafe access path or step
  • Toilets which won’t flush (where there is no other toilet in the house)
  • Blocked or leaking foul drains, soil stacks or toilet pans (where there is no other toilet in the house)
  • Blocked sink, bath or basin
  • Significant leak or flooding from a water or heating pipe, tank or cistern
  • Unsafe timber flooring or stair threads
  • Loose or detached banisters or handrails
  • Broken mechanical fan in internal kitchen or bathroom (where there is no window).



Compensation payments range from a minimum of £15 to a maximum of £100 per qualifying repair.


Who can help?

If you wish to know more about your right to repair, please get in touch with your Local Office and ask for our leaflet "Reporting a Repair".


For independent advice contact:

CARF - Citizens Advice Rights Fife

Tel: 0845 1400 095

Repairs - Council Houses
Tel: 03451 55 00 11 Contact Repairs - Council Houses online
By Post: Fife House North Street Glenrothes Fife KY7 5LT
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.