Mutual Exchange

Mutual Exchange (also known as a house swap)

 If you are a tenant and would like to move home, sometimes looking for a swap is an option worth considering.

 A swap can help you move quickly, and gives you control in deciding where you stay.

 Fife Council tenants can swap with each other, tenants of another Local Authority, or tenants of a Housing Association. All tenants involved must have a Scottish Secure Tenancy Agreement.

Swaps are not limited to 2 households, and Mutual Exchange 'chains' can be created, with 3+ properties involved in the swap.

 When you find someone to swap with you must request the Mutual Exchange in writing. A paper application form is available at your Local Office or can be printed from the publication list below. Fife Council tenants can also request their exchange online.

Your rent should be up to date and your home kept in good order. All Mutual Exchange requests will be considered however some rules do apply. Normally we will refuse Mutual Exchange applications where:

A notice for eviction has been served on you or the person you are swapping with or an eviction order is in place

There are rent arrears or outstanding recharges

The house has been designed or significantly adapted for someone with specific needs and no one on the application needs it

The exchange would result in significant under-occupation

The exchange would result in overcrowding

You are not a secure tenant

You or the person you are swapping with has a Short Scottish Secure Tenancy (SSST)

If the fixtures and fittings of properties are not to a reasonable standard for both tenants

 If you carry out a Mutual Exchange your Right to Buy will be affected.  If you wish to find out more information on the rules relating to Right to Buy, contact your landlord to discuss. 

 How can I find someone to exchange with?

1.         Home Swap is our new online Mutual Exchange match up service.  As of Tuesday 23rd June 2015 Home Swap can be accessed by tenants and joint tenants with Fife Council, Fife Housing Association, Glen Housing Association, Kingdom Housing Association, Ochil View Housing Association and Ore Valley Housing Association.

Home Swap allows you to register your details and search for other tenants who are looking to exchange. Home Swap is available via Fife Direct.  Want to know more about Home Swap? Click here

2.         Some Fife Council Local Offices continue to hold paper based Mutual Exchange folders, you may be able to include your information in this. Contact your nearest Local Office for further information.

3.         You may be able to source an exchange by other means, such as speaking with friends, family or neighbours.

4.         Wanting to move out with Fife? Contact the Local Authority or a Housing Association based in the area you're looking to move to, they may recommend an external/national mutual exchange website, or give you information on how to register your details locally with them.

If you want  to find out more about Home Swap refer to the Frequently Asked Questions available below or you can contact us by emailing:

Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 33 Contact Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.