Asylum seekers advice

Scotland has a long history of welcoming refugees and asylum seekers.

Under the 1951 UN Refugees Convention, the UK and other signatories are obliged to consider properly any application for asylum made by a person who claims to be fleeing persecution by the state. . The kind of support that is available to you will depend upon when you made your claim for asylum and the details of your case.

If you have nowhere to stay while we assess your housing situation, or if we cannot interview you right away, we can offer you temporary accommodation.

The type of accommodation can vary from Bed and Breakfast to Furnished/Part Furnished Flats.

We try to match the accommodation to your needs where we can. Please remember this accommodation is seen as an emergency provision and as such can be anywhere in Fife.

The accommodation may be run by:

  • the council
  • a private landlord
  • a housing association
  • a voluntary organisation. 

We offer support while you are in temporary accommodation, to help you cope at a very difficult time.

Will you have to stay in a bed and breakfast hotel?

You can also be placed in a bed and breakfast if:

  • you made your homeless application out of normal office hours, or
  • we do not have any suitable temporary accommodation for you. 

You should not have to stay there for more than 14 days.

If you are pregnant, or have children, you should not be placed in a bed and breakfast unless:

  • you are homeless because of an emergency, such as a flood, or fire
  • you have specifically asked to be placed in an area where there is no other temporary accommodation available, for example to be near friends or family, or your child's school.

Will you have to share?

You may have to share facilities such as a bathroom or kitchen with other people.  In some bed and breakfast hotels there are no kitchens where you can cook your own meals.

Claiming asylum

The Home Office is the department that oversees the asylum application process and provides money and accommodation to asylum seekers who can't afford to support themselves and their families. 

If you’re an adult asylum seeker or a dependent of an adult asylum seeker on call Asylum UK on 0808 8000 630 Monday to Friday, 8am to 5.30pm.

You can find more information by visitng

Claiming asylum in the UK can be a complicated and confusing business.  If you’re still not sure what your rights are, or if you need more support, you should contact a Migrant Help on or telephone 01304 203977.  Fife Migrant Forum


For information about Visas and Immigration Status, please contact the UK Visas and Immigration Agency


Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.)
Tel: 03451 55 00 33 Contact Housing Information and Advice (lines open 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.) online
By Post: New City House 1 Edgar Street Dunfermline Fife KY12 7EP
Go Top
This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. For more information read our privacy policy.